- The total cumulative enrollment for pregnant women and children for Early Head Start and Head Start in Missouri in 2010-2011 was 22,636 people.
- In our state, 76% of the children enrolled are income eligibile and nearly 13% are the receipient of some kind of public assistance.
- The average cost per child in Missouri was $7, 326 for the last program year.
- 53% of children served are Caucuasian
- 33% of children served are African American
- 6% of children served are Bi-Racial/Multi-Racial
- 8% of children served are other ethnicities
- 20,326 total number of Missouri families were served with 64% being single parent families
- 49% of Head Start families participated in parenting education
- 20% received emergency or crisis intervention through Head Start services
- 13% received housing assistance through Head Start
- 45% received health education through Head Start
- Over 95% of Missouri Head Start Programs had a regularly scheduled program to involved fathers/father figures with 36% of them participating in fatherhood activities.
- Of the 1,008 homeless families served last year, 44% acquired housing during the enrollment year
- 95% of classroom teachers and 43% of assistant teachers have an Early Childhood Education degree, Child Development Associate degree or state certification
- Of the 227 teachers who left the program during the year, 26% left for higher compensation in the same field.
- The average annual salary for teachers is $11.90 per hour and $8.83 per hour for an assistant teacher.